Resultatenlijst

Hier ziet u de resultaten van onze 63ste veiling (9 november 2019).

Lotnummer: 781
Transfer of 10 Shares of £50 each. black, red wax seals. No 193. Folds. At the start of the 19th century, there was a pressing need for a new land connection between the north and south banks of the Thames to link the expanding docks on both sides of the river. Early trials to construct a tunnel failed. In 1799, the engineer Ralph Dodd tried but failed to build a tunnel between Gravesend and Tilbury. In 1805-1809 a group of Cornish miners attempted to dig a tunnel further upriver between Rotherhithe and Wapping/Limehouse but failed because of the difficult groundconditions. For a while the tunnel idea was considered being impracticable until in 1818 the Anglo-French engineer Brunel and Thomas Cochrane developed the tunelling shield, a revolutionary advance in tunnelling technology. In 1823 Brunel produced a plan for a tunnel between Rotherhithe and Wapping, which would be dug using his new shield. Financing was soon found from private investors including the Duke of Wellington and this Thames Tunnel Company was formed in 1824, with the project beginning in February 1825. Work advanced very slowly and to earn some income, the company directors allowed sightseeers to view the shield in operation in return for 1 shilling per person. The tunnel flooded both in 1827 and 1828 and meanwhile competitors started to build the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Financial problems followed, leading in August to the tunnel walled off just behind the shield. In 1834 Brunel succeeded in raising sufficient money (including a loan of £247,000 from the Treasury) to continue construction. Because of new floods of water, fires and leaks of methane and hydrogen sulphide gas, the remainder of the tunnelling was only completed in November 1841. After being fitted out with lighting, roadways, spiral staircases and the construction of an engine house, the tunnel was finally opened to the public on 25 March 1843. Finally, the Thames tunnel turned out to be a financial disaster as it final cost of £634,000, far exceeded its initial cost estimate. Moreover, until 1865 the tunnel remained only a tourist attraction as due to the lack of extension of the entrance, it could only be used by pedestrians. In 1865, to the relief of the tunnel's investors, the tunnel was taken over by the East London Railway company which made the necessary investments to enable the tunnel to become a rail link for goods and passengers between Wapping and the South London Line. In 1869 the first train ran through the Tunnel and the train traffic continued until nowadays as part of the London Overground system. This certificate represents a transfer of 10 shares of £50 each and is countersigned by the company secretary. It is furthermore signed by Thomas Jevons. Thomas Jevons (1791-1855) was an important iron merchant in Liverpool and a good friend of Robert Stephenson and Joseph Locke, both the founding fathers of the British railways. Thomas Jevons also had a famous son: William Jevons, professor of political economy (1845-1882), who introduced the still well-known economic principle of marginal utility. This is the only scripophily known to us from the world's first underwater tunnel and the first to use a tunnelling shield.
Thema's: BRIDGES – TUNNEL
GREAT BRITAIN
Datum: 20 December 1827
Kwaliteit: VF
Startprijs: € 200