VIRGINIA. 6% Shares of $100. black. No 178. Trimmed left border. The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad was chartered in 1834 to run from Richmond north via Fredericksburg to the Potomac River. It opened from Richmond to Hazel Run in 1836, to Fredericksburg in 1837 and the rest of theway to the Potomac River at Aquia Creek in 1842. In 1852, an extension to the north opened. This split from the existing line at Brooke and ran north to Quantico, also on the Potomac. The old line to Aquia Creek became a branch. On the other end of theline, the Alexandria and Washington Railroad was chartered in 1854 to build from the south end of the Long Bridge (14th Street Bridge) over the Potomac River south to Alexandria. That line opened in 1857. The railroad went bankrupt and was sold in 1887,being reorganized that year as the Alexandria and Washington Railway.
Datum: 4 February 1891
Startpreis: € 100