Cert. of 5 Shares. black on vellum. No 125. Paper seal showing an early locomotive. Arguably the prettiest of all early British railway shares, and certainly the most educational: it shows how coal is transported by train from the mines (vignette shows a chimney, surely evidence of the use of a stationary steam engine) in the background to the river side where it is loaded into vessels through an ingenious loading station ('staithe') on the river Tyne. By Act of Parliament on 22 May 1834, the Bladyon, Gateshead & Hebburn Rialway Company was incorporated and authorised to build 16.5 miles of railway between Blaydon to Hebburn along the south bank of the Tyne. As such, it was promoted as an extension of the Newcastle Carlisle Railway. The moving spirt of this railway was John Clayton, the Town Clerk of Newcastle. He planned to link this railway up with other lines, the Stanhope and Tyne in particular, and to bring as much coal as possible down to the Tyne for shipment rather than it making its way to the Wear. Only 1,5 miles were actually built by the company as already in late 1835, the line was taken over by the Newcastle & Carlisle. They quickly finished the line. Eventually, the company became part of the North Eastern Railway (1862). A scarce and early railroad share whichthrough its magnificent vignette, perfectly illustrates the importance of the railroad revolution for the economy of Great Britain.
Datum: 9 July 1835
Startpreis: € 4000