INDIANA. FORT WAYNE. Shares of $50. black. No 815. Paper from both top corners missing, mostly from the left corner. Trimmed borders. Chartered 1852. The first section opened in February 1856 from Fort Wayne to Columbia City. In 1856 the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Rail Road was formed as a consolidation of the Fort Wayne and Chicago, Ohio and Indiana, and Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroads. Extensions opened west to Chicago in 1858. On January 1, 1859 trains started running to Chicago, with a terminal at the future location of Union Station.From the early days, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) had been involved with the project, supplying funds. Once the Fort Wayne Railroad Bridge at Pittsburgh was finished in 1857, trains began to run through from Philadelphia. In 1859 the PFW&C defaultedon its debts, and was sold at foreclosure in 1861. It was reorganized as the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway in 1862. In 1871 was transferred to the newly-formed Pennsylvania Company. Vignette of a train.
Date: 7 May 1854
Startprice: € 50