TEJUCO. Bond of 33 1/4 oitavas of gold. black. No 408. Small bit of paper missing at upper left corner. Note issued by the General Diamond Administration to pay successful diamond prospectors. Values of the notes were filled in by hand for amounts of gold paid for the diamonds delivered. Notes were exchangeable into coins; they circulated at full face value as paper currency. Tejuco, where this piece was issued, in the state of Minas Geraes, was where Brazil's first diamonds were discovered in 1725. Arms of the Portuguese territory of Brazil. Very rare piece.
Themes: BEFORE 1800, DIAMONDS, GOVERNMENT BONDS
Date: 23 October 1773
Startprice: € 200