LUXEMBOURG. 4% Obligation de 1000 florins. black. No 57. 4-page document, with many brown stains and tiny part of upper left corner missing, not affecting the 3-page text, starting with a beautiful initial showing a stork. Largely intact paper seal on the inside, accompanied with the signatures of the members of the council of the Province of Luxembourg. These are amongst others Willibrord Abbé de St. Maximin, Jean Abbé de M(????), Emmanuel Abbé d'Echternach, Comte de G(?)rias and four others, difficult to decipher. This province was part of the Habsburg-led Austrian Netherlands and consisted of the Duchy of Luxembourg and the County of Chiny. It was only after the 1839 Treaty of London that newly independent Belgium was enlarged with much of the French speaking half of what historically was Luxembourg (eg. the cities of Arlon and Chiny). The total loan amounted to 500.000 Guilders and was issued by the Luxembourg authorities on behalf of the Austrian Empire. Interestingly, the man buying this bond was a cavalry Colonel in the French Army. It would only be three years later that Luxembourg was invaded by the French revolutionary army. Except for one bond in a Luxembourg iron-works, this is the oldest Luxembourg scripophily. Only this one bond is known to us.
Themes: BEFORE 1800, CITY & STATE BONDS
Startprice: € 6000