HABANA. 1 Accion de 500 Pesos. black. No 2428. Trimmed right border. Two tears at the bottom border and large tear in border panel due to ink burning through from the signature on the back. The earliest Cuban rail share known, of a company formed 1842 to acquire a line Havana-Guines, built by the state in 1837. Early network of around 240km, for passengers and freight, especially sugar, of which it was an enormous carrier. The lines were mostly south and southeast of Havana. Very profitable company. In 1889 acquired its competitor the Ferrocarril de la Bahia de la Habana a Matanzas, giving a combined network of 400km. Name changed 1890 to Banco del Comercio, Ferrocarriles Unidos de la Habana y Almacenes de Regla, when it amalgamated with other activities. In time became simply Ferrocarriles Unidos de la Habana. Under British control from 1898. Vignette of Havana station, with a train ready to leave, and a smaller one of a train in the countryside. Border panel with two classical Greek heads, surrounded with flowers - we don't know how they are relevant. Since many years only 3 pieces known to us.
Date: 15 October 1853
Startprice: € 1600