4% Bond of 100 Rbls., specimen, 2nd Decade. Serie 9. brown, buff, black. The bank was founded 1882 by Czar Alexander II to provide cheap loans to the Russian peasantry for the purchase of land and providing funding for the improvement of agricultural methods. It began operations in April 1883, with nine branches. Each bank was managed by a council consisting of a manager, assistant manager, and 3 others appointee by the Ministry of Finance and another member representing the Ministry of Agriculture. In 1888 its activity was extended to include the Kingdom of Poland and by 1891 it had 39 branches. As such, farmers all over Russia (often previously serfs) could purchase land from the land aristocracy. Between 1883 and 1904 they bought about 19,5 million acres from their former masters. This improved the situation of some, but in general didn't stop the impoverishment of the mass of the people.
Themes: BANK & FINANCE
Startprice: € 50