Preference Shares of £5. black, grey. No 54. Trimmed left border. One of the great attractions of Victorian London. The Aquarium opened in 1876, at Tothill Street, Westminster, with 7 very large fish-tanks, both salt-water and fresh, and a great hall where a wide range of music-hall and orchestral shows were offered. The building was 340 feet long and 160 wide, with fountains, exotic plants and a great glass roof. Also a theatre (renamed the Imperial Theatre in 1879), a library, art gallery and much else. The original aim was to offerhigh-minded entertainments for Society people, but this was not profitable, and the offerings changed to sensational circus acts, animal acts, music-hall and so on, which brought far better returns. The place also acquired a dubious reputation, with many young women looking for male clients. The building was demolished in 1903, when it was sold to the Methodist Church, whose Central Hall is now on the site. Issued to Lord Alfred Paget. Paget was Chief Equerry and Clerk Marshal to the Queen. Extremely rare.
Themes: MUSIC, THEATRE, ZOO & CIRCUS
Date: 25 April 1878
Startprice: € 500