HAINAUT. LEUSE/ANVERS. Action. black. #493. No 436. Company formed in Antwerp to acquire a part of the estate of Leuze, in Hainaut, from the Prince de Salm Kyrbourg, whose assets were sold by the courts in Paris to pay his creditors. The company also acquired another part of the same estate from Les Héritiers de l'Ecluse, Antwerp. The share is signed for the company by J.A.J. de Bosschaert, F. Du Bois and J.C. Della Faille de Leverghem. Leuze (or Leuse) is between Tournai and Mons. The German princely house of Salm, which owned large estates on theleft bank of the Rhine, goes back to the 9th century. At the death of Theodoric, count of Salm, in 1040, his estates were divided between his two sons. One of these lines descended to the Salm-Kyrbourg branch. Frédéric de Salm-Kyrbourg was born in Limburg in 1746. He went to live in Paris, and built the large house which later became the palace of the Légion d'Honneur. During the revolution he supported the people's cause, but that did not prevent him being executed on the guillotine in 1794. Apparently he left debts, and, in time, the courts sold his properties to repay his creditors. Among these properties was the estate of Leuze. Paper of companies formed during the Napoleonic period are rarely offered to collectors.
Themes: BEFORE 1800
BELGIUM, FRANCE, GERMANY, NETHERLANDS
Province: ANTWERPEN, HAINAUT
Date: 28 March 1809
Startprice: € 300