LATVIA. ST.-PETERSBURG. Actie über 250 Rbls. green, black, red, blue. #16000. No 8340. Folds. Text in Russian and German. The company was founded in 1874, to build railway-wagons in a steelworks at Riga, on the Baltic Sea, today capital of Latvia. However, in 1909, it started to build cars, and the Russo-Baltic became the best-known Russian make. Before 1914, Russian passenger cars tended to be obscure foreign machines, assembled in Russian factories under native names. It is uncertain how many foreign makes were recreated in the Tsar's dominions under that name. Some were derived from the German Rex-Simplex, while others were replicas of the Belgian Fondu. They were put together under the supervision of the Swiss engineer, Potterat. The first Russo-Baltique, called the 24/30hp, had a 4-cylinder engine of 4.5 liters. 3 years later, there were 4 models, all with 4 cylinders, the biggest a monster of 7.2 liters. The cars, although little known even in their countries of origin, performed quite well in the earliest Monte Carlo and San Sebastian Rallies of 1911 and 1912. Production ceased at the outbreak of war in 1915. The Revolution, and the chaos which followed, ensured that no more private cars were made in Russia until the late 1920s.
Themes: AUTOMOBILES, AVIATION, METAL & ENGINEERING, RAILROADS
Startprice: € 40